[Gpdd] BEHAVIOR: Mayhem in the pig pen

Schumann, Jan Jan.Schumann at SelectHealthofSC.com
Tue Apr 1 08:48:17 EDT 2008

Well, last night was entertaining.

I was late getting home from work last night (an hour later than usual)
and the fur babies must have thought they had been abandoned!  Zathras
was standing on his back legs and stretched as tall as he could be,
hanging on the side of the pen.  Tribble and Leela were wheeking
themselves insane.  Of course, I immediately fed them and things began
to calm down while the supper was consumed.

No sooner than sat down to eat my supper than they started chasing each
other around the cage.  It was not a cute little piggie train but a full
blown quest for dominance.  I couldn't tell who was chasing whom because
of how they were moving around the pen.  I finally had to pull Zathras
out because he was mistaking the chew tube for one of the girls and was
trying to mount it and I was afraid he might hurt himself.  The wildness
continued on lower level with the girls but Tribble put Leela in her
place pretty quickly.

When I finally put Zathras back in the pen after scratching him under
his chin, things seemed to go back to normal.  (Scratching under the
chin not only feels good to him but it lets him know that I am in charge
because I can get to his neck.)  30 minutes later, we had a PG-13
version of the R rated events of earlier in the evening.  I let this one
play out.  Zathras must have been too tired because he went back to the
pigloo after a few minutes.  Leela foolishly tried to put the moves on
Tribble again.  Guess who won?!  Tribble is still queen of the pen!

Jan
Mom to Tribble, Zathras, and Leela
Lokai in my heart

Jan Schumann
Medical Services Data Analyst
Select Health of South Carolina
PO Box 40849
Charleston, SC 29423-0849
843.569.4847 p.
888.824.7788 f.
www.selecthealthofsc.com
Mission: We help people get care, stay well and build healthy
communities

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail may contain information that is privileged, confidential, and/or otherwise protected from disclosure to anyone other than its intended recipient(s). Any dissemination or use of this electronic mail or its contents by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail so that we may correct our internal records. Please then delete the original message. Thank you.