[Gpdd] Health-questions about Ivermectin

Folly Farm lfolly at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 4 06:10:22 EDT 2008

Hi,

A few of my pigs have gotten mites over the past year or so.  To keep the costs down, I only have my vet treat the pigs that seem itchy.  Although I have a good vet, I'd like to be able to treat my pigs myself.  Also, I'd rather treat all of them at once to avoid outbreak after outbreak.  With 12 pigs times a $53 dollar office visit plus the cost of 3 ivermectin oral doses (about $38) per pig, costs can add up to over  $1000.  I've tried to get my vet to just sell me the medicine, but he insists on an office visit for each of them.  I found this website http://this-little-piggie-marketplace.blogspot.com/2007/04/ivermectin.html  that sells these 2 forms of ivermectin.  I see and have checked out the link to guinealynx, but I'm still a little unclear.  The top bottle looks injectable?  The bottom says it's a pour on formula.  Has anyone ever used either of these products on their pigs?  Although I've only ever received oral doses from my vet, I can give injections, but what size syringe/needle?  Also how many doses with injectable and how many days apart?  I've never heard of a pour on formula. Have any of you?  Any info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Lisa Stanley & the San Diego 12