[Gpdd] CARE Litter training

Chris McGuire cmcguire at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 16:47:18 EDT 2008

Good day!

This is my first post. I'll put up a proper intro a little later.

My experiance with litter training is pretty positive. From what I
have read, you can expect about 60 to 80 percent "accuracy". I figure
my boars do about 70%. I figure this is good, better than nothing at
all. I use the more expensive recycled paper bedding, as I'm something
of a greenie, rather than the cheap wood types. I occasionally use
fleece, but that's on weeks I am counting my pennies. Anyhow, I have
also found a fine clay little, like cat litter, but scentless. I used
this with a cigar box and a proper corner deal, and threw a few
pellets in there with some hay, to help them 'get the idea'. They
certainly do use those areas more, and in all fairness, they were
well-used areas from before, and I enjoy the ease of getting most of
the waste out and getting an extra few days to a week from my bedding-
at 30 bucks a change (Deep bed, big cage!) it's gotta last a while.

So, in short, don't expect perfection, but expect progress! You'll
never get 100% out of a cavy, IMHO. But you can do better than
nothing!

Best,

Chris
Chicago, IL