[Gpdd] (Health) Question about Shilintong

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 21:51:55 EDT 2008

All,
  I know several of you have used Shilintong for your stone pigs and I was wondering--how much do you give and how do you get them to take it?

  I just found out that Maxine has a stone lodged in her urethra, and, at 7 years old, she is not a good candidate for surgery. So far, there is no blood in her urine and she is not straining to urinate, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. We have her on Metacam and I would like to try giving her Shilintong to maybe keep the stone from getting any bigger. I also want to give it to LuLu Belle since she had stone surgery when she was only 6 months old. I've tried syringing them the Shilintong, but they absolutely hate it and I end up wearing it (and it stains!). Is there any way to make the stuff more palatable? (I tried disguising it in some Crital Care but that didn't work.)

  They are strictly on Timothy hay and pellets and I filter their water through a Brita filter. They don't get parsley or spinach, but they do get organic baby greens and carrots. Are the greens okay? I'm becoming concerned because Maxine is now the 4th pig I've had with stones. (LuLu Belle's stones were partially due to a genetic malformation of her bladder.) Where we live now has well water and it does have a lot of sediment--maybe the Brita isn't filtering out enough "grit"? I just want to make sure that I am not inadvertently contributing to their problems.

  Thanks in advance,
  -Stacy and the Squee Squad