[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE: Widget

Marielle Smith marielle at markinekt.com
Fri Apr 25 14:56:22 EDT 2008

With a very sad heart we want to share with the list that our baby Widget has crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  He crossed last night just after midnight.  Poor guy was our last piggie - his best friend Schocki left us in November.

Widget fought so hard to keep going - the last month was rough:  a respiratory infection, then diarrhea, finally he broke a tooth and was having other digestive problems.  When this tooth and digestive problem came up on Wednesday his regular vets were off and another vet took care of him.  Who knows whether he could have gotten better care - the vet seemed perplexed what was really at the source of his problems.  Yesterday for a time it seemed like he was rallying and going to make it, but by around 8, it was pretty clear that he was losing the battle.  Despite that, he continued to groom himself in the moments when he was coherent, which was sad and touching.

Widget was a character - he had long white fur and a little black patch over one eye and on his behind.  He loved his igloo and his veggies.  He was a huge fan of Oxbow Vitamin C tablets and his favorite treat was the occasional romaine heart and celery.  He loved to snuggle under my chin, but tugged on my shirt when he had had enough.  He was never the most vocal piggie - he let the others play that role, but in his last months, he took on the serious wheeking job, letting me know when it was time for dinner.  Widget was also a huge comfort to Schocki, staying with him at the vet and staying by his side as he passed.

We'll miss you buddy, my little Woodgie Woo.

Since he was our last little guy, and we're not ready to get back into piggies (he is survived by 6 rabbits and a bird), if anyone in the LA area would like a C&C habitat, 2x6 panels (nice and big!), it's still in pretty good shape.  Write me and let me know if you'd like to have it.

Sadly,
Marielle
- and Russell, the human
- and Mr. Big, Jackie, Rhumba, Wolfgang, Farrah and Garbanzo, the rabbits
- and Rosie, the conure