[Gpdd] MISC : Toby

davedave121 at aol.com davedave121 at aol.com
Sat Aug 2 15:47:09 EDT 2008

Hi all
Firstly ,I want to thank every one who sent us emails of support and
good wishes, I was truly overwhelmed by the response , you are so kind
and caring thank you . There where some names that that I have not seen
posted on gpdd , come on you guy’s , join in, post, use it or lose it,
(listen to him,) it took me ages to get up the nerve to send a post,
and I was inspired to do so by Suzy’s valiant effort to save Cocoa,
they say that men do not cry, I cried buckets when Suzy Crossed Cocoa
to the bridge .)

Secondly I would like so sincerely apologize two the two people who
took offence, at my muck handed way of trying to deal with a very
traumatic few days .

I was totally beside my self with worry , Yvonne was away on business
and I did not want to worry her ,and to make it worse ,there where no
gpdd posts for two days, when I discovered the lump beside Toby’s
nipple, I felt there was no one to talk to (our friends and families
just do not talk piggy’s ).

Yes I know, a lot of you thought it was Teddy Teef that had the lump,
and I have only got my self to blame.  I had totally lost the plot.

Teddy is the pig who was abandoned on a park field I believe, we
rescued , adopted , what ever you want to call it , 4 weeks ago , he
has been successfully neutered and had a molar job, and in 3 weeks we =0
will be picking up a pen mate for him from a shelter. I am so exited
for him, he can finally enjoy life.  And also thanks to Deb’s bright
idea , hopefully more additions to PP.I will tell you about that
another day.

To get back to Toby.   Toby and Elvis were re homed by us more than 2
years ago. Both where lame, and grossly  over weight , I nearly cried
when I first saw them try to walk on our carpet , all they could do was
hobble then roll , the poor little souls where terrified ,

Elvis responded to treatment quickly , he was an healthy 1200g and
walking inside 2 months , we got him neutered , and he now has his own
little herd of two sows .

Toby on the other hand took a bit longer, and in those nursing months ,
I became very attached to Toby, (not favoured , ) I love all our
piggy’s the same , it’s just that Toby and I really got to know each
other , and he relies on us more so much more than the other pigs , he
will follow us all round the living room when he feels threatened
,wants a treat, or just a snuggle, and when in his garden run, he is
not like the other pigs, who just want to eat and play, Toby, as soon
as he see’s Yvonne or myself , wheeks franticly and will not stop until
a friendly hand is lowered towards him, he then makes a mad jump on to
the hand, then proceeds to scramble up the arm,
and nuzzle his way
between your arm and chest and purrs like a kitten .

As I said I was beside my self when I discovered the lump. I took him
to our vet John, who didn’t like the look of It, he did a needle biopsy
and sent it to the lab , a few days of hell later, I received a phone
call from John , All was fine !!! It was a , I can not  even pronounce
it let alone spell it lump, but it is completely harmless .

I hadn’t read gpdd for a couple of days  when I got the good news from
John our vet, and I was simply over the moon when I read Pat’s post
about Doris. What a perfect day.   I just pry that Julie’s sister’s
Hamish ‘s cancer doesn’t grow back.        And I promise to keep the

Yours in piggy’s

Dave of  Dave and Yvonne at PP

PS A very special thanks to Sandy, for today’s email , I think you are
a very brave person and although you may not think it your strength is
an inspiration .