[Gpdd] Health: healing wheeks for Peppermint

corrine sakumoto oreochockc at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 8 05:33:59 EDT 2008

Hello Everyone and Everypig.  We have my little girl, Peppermint, who is a little over three years old.   Very early this morning I noticed that she was a little lethargic.  Since it's been hot I thought she was hot.  She felt hot, so I bathed her to help cool her off.  Also, she had some poo smeared on her bum.  She fought to be bathed but she was more quiet than usual when I was carefully drying her.  She still seemed not very active.  I tried to give her water via an eye dropper and she seemed thirsty so I wondered if she was dehydrated.  I looked at her bottom and there were three tiny poos connected with a 'string' like.  I've seen this before and know it means she's dehydrated.  So I kept giving her water via the eye dropper.  My husband and I took her to a vet because she was getting very lethargic.  She was alert, bright eyed, and seemed aware of what was going on, but mostly, she'd just lie there (freaking me out with worry).  The
 vet did a subq and gave us critical care for her if she's not eating.  She nibbles on food but not much so we 'force' her to eat by pushing food into her mouth..  She seems to chew very slowly and eats this way.  We also give her the critical care and also water via the eye dropper.  The vet also found a 'mass' on her side which she said was 'hot'.  But that has sinced cooled down.  The vet wasn't sure if this 'mass' was causing her current problems or not so she suggested we see a surgery savvy guinea pig vet.  She said an xray wouldn't show the problem.  As we were mulling this over, Peppermint became more active, still tired, but eating a little on her own, but still not drinking on her own (we figure it's because of the subq, could be wrong).  She has infrequent little poos still yet, and she only pees a little bit.  We forget the big words the vet used but she's not sure if it's a mass or an absess.  She said a needle biopsy wouldn't
 help either.

If anyone can give us any help, or need more info, please email us at either oreochockc at yahoo.com or mtanaka at hawaii.edu .  As you probably know, I am beside myself and don't want to lose my precious little girl.  She and I have a bond.

Thank you everyone,

Corrine and Michael