[Gpdd] Health: Peppermint

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 11 08:35:13 EDT 2008

Dear Corrine

I am sorry Peppermint isn't her usual self.  As it is so hot where you are,
I am sure you are doing all the usual things like keeping curtains pulled
and making sure the air is cool for her.

Vedra at the Cambridge Cavy Trust told me that the optimum temperature for a
guinea pig is 16 degrees centigrade (not sure what that is in fairenheight
-- sorry if I've spelt it wrong).  She said if you don't have air
conditioning, a good idea is to take a 2 litre lemonade bottle, fill it with
water (don't fill it right up, leave some space), and put in in the freezer.
Once frozen, cover with a tea towel or small cloth and put in you pigs run.
If they are really hot, they can rest against it for coolness, but just by
the bottle being in there, it will cool the air a little.  If Peppermint
really does have a 'hot spot', being able to place it against a cool bottle
may help her.

It sounds as though you need a better expert than the ones you have so far
seen.  Are there others in your area you could try?

I hope Peppermint picks up and is back to normal soon.

Kind regards

Carole