[Gpdd] [Health] Doris and repeating UTI

Evelyn Baker ebak at ca.inter.net
Tue Aug 12 22:40:32 EDT 2008

Phoebe had repeated bladder infections most of her life. I tried
everything but the cause was probably high blood sugar. One vet
thought she might be diabetic. I cut back on her fruits, carrots, and
corn. All of which are high in sugar. I didn't completely remove them
from her diet but gave her very small portions of the carrots rather
than dropping in a big chunk. I'd give her a medallion size slice,
half a strawberry. Only the husk of the corn and the silk which is
good for the bladder. She never got another bladder infection. I did
giver her cranberries when they were in season and blueberries are
also good for bladder health but of course in moderation.

We had the same problem with Baytril. What we did do is water it
down. I would giver her yoghurt about a half hour after and would
measure out the baytril in a syringe and then fill the rest of the
syringe with water and a bit of juice to hide the flavour of the
baytril. That helped. But mostly we avoided the baytril.

Evelyn