[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE

Ricthecollector at aol.com Ricthecollector at aol.com
Sun Aug 17 02:13:39 EDT 2008

From: _ricthecollector at aol.com_ (mailto:ricthecollector at aol.com)

SUBJECT: RAINBOW BRIDGE

    It is with great sorrow that I report the untimely death  of Chester, our
nearly 4 year old guinea pig.  He died Saturday  (7/19/08) due to
complications involving dental surgery. His death  "destroyed" me and that is why it has
taken so long for me to post this note.
    Chester was one of 10 piggies we have and the  "refrigerator alarm".  His
cage was closest to the fridge and be it 3 a.m.  when I opened it, he would
alert the other piggies that it was open and time to  clatter and chirp for
treats.  Our hearts are broken by his death since it  was totally unexpected.
    Chester stopped eating about three weeks prior to his  death so we took
him to our vets. The vet on duty, not our usual GP vet,  said his bottom teeth
were long and she clipped them, saying this would probably  solve the problem.
 But he wasn't eating the next day, so we returned to  see our regular GP
vet.  She said she discovered he had spurs on his molars  and they had punctured
his jaw.  She gave us beytril (sp?) to  administer to him for a week to clear
and infection and told us we would have to  fee him using a syringe 4 times a
day.  We gladly followed the regiment and  returned a week later to have the
spurs filed.  We dropped him off the  morning of the filing thinking it was a
minor procedure.  The vet whisked  him off into the surgery area. We left and
went home, having been told it  would be a couple of hours for him to awaken
and be ready to go home.  No  sooner than we arrived home, we received a call
from our vet telling us that she  had found the problem -- Chester's jaw was
fractured. She did not know when  or how it happened but said it was very serious
and if we decided to pursue  treatment, it would have to be at the U of P
Veterinary Hospital, probably at a  cost of $2,500 - $4,000.
    We picked up Chester and returned home to ponder further  treatment.  She
said we would probably have to hand feed him for the rest  of his life, which
we would willingly do.
    It was while feeding him Saturday night (7/19) that he  became weak and
stopped eating. I held him with my wife at my side.  At  8:42, Chester took two
little breaths and went off to the bridge, leaving us and  his five brothers,
two sisters, his niece and cousin in mourning.  There  will NEVER be another
Chester.
    Does anyone know how Chester's jaw could have been  fractured?
    If anyone knows of a similar instance, we  would really appreciate an
answer.
    Thank you all in  advance.
               Ric, left broken-hearted by the loss of our Chester.

Read reviews on AOL Autos.