[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge - Chester

Heather Hairston h_anne_h at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 18 15:10:57 EDT 2008

Hi  - I don't post often, partly because my Hotmail email account seems to be kind of finicky about my GP digest, but when I read about the recent problems Chester had with his teeth, I had to put in my 2 cents.  I would also bet money that the jaw may have been fractured during the teeth trimming, as I had the very same thing happen with one of our pigs a couple of years ago.  Zeke died only a couple of days later after having his teeth trimmed.  The vet sent him home with an almost immobile jaw. The poor thing could not eat, and could barely swallow.  The only reason we took him in was because I noticed he had been drooling more (he was a messy pig, anyway, when he ate!) and I "suggested" the vet trim his teeth (?)  Now that I know more, I think that trimming his teeth was unnecessary.  I live in an area where there are no good veterinarians for exotics, etc.. especially guinea pigs.  Unfortunately, over the years, I've had a number of very bad experiences, and I have an innate distrust of them.  It definitely causes me to consider seriously if I should continuing having guinea pigs, as much as I love them!Anyway, I called the vet after Zeke was on his death bed, and told them that I thought they had broken his jaw, but they said they didn't think that was the case!Just wanted to share this, although I'm sure there are other things that could have caused Chester's jaw to fracture.   Thanks for everyone's great input here - it's helped me on many occasions!!Heather, Pepper, Dude, and Kitty