[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCE] New member here - introducing myself and my piggy

Janna Hoskin janna.hoskin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 12:34:03 EDT 2008

Hello, everyone!

I'm Janna; used to belong to this list WAAAAAAAY back when I was in
University.  I don't recall if I actually had any piggies at the time.
I've kept guinea pigs on and off since I was ten.  Usually just one or
two, though I had three at one point.

I lost two guinea pigs earlier this year.  First Katonia, my female,
contracted pneumonia, and after $500 to the vet and lots of Baytril, she
finally just gave up.  Then we moved, and about a month after that
Napoleon, my male, stopped eating.  I syringe-fed Critical Care daily
for a week, but it seemed like he just didn't care.  I think he might
have been depressed; the two never lived together, as Napoleon was
intact and Katonia had never been bred (and both were about 4 when they
passed), but their cages were kept right next to each other, and they
kissed through the bars a lot.

Well, on Sunday I went and picked up a darling little girl who I've
named Isabella.  She's a tortie & white short-hair with a small ridge on
her back.  The family she'd been living with didn't want her anymore
(kind of how I wound up with Napoleon), so I took her in.  I was pleased
to see that they had a decent-sized cage (luckily it fit in my car!), so
she's had plenty of space, but no hay to be found and the food is
alfalfa mixed with seeds (at least it says it's for guinea pigs on the
bag!).  I have timothy hay and timothy pellets, so I'm planning to
slowly transition her food over.  She also needs her nails trimmed.
She's a very sociable little thing and spends most of her time outside
of her igloo.  Going by size (I haven't weighed her yet) she's probably
between 6 months and a year old.  The family said they had two until one
of them died (about a month ago, I think), so of course I'm keeping a
close eye on her.  She seems perfectly healthy, which is good, but her
belly is suspiciously round.  Time will tell if she's pregnant.

Today or tomorrow, I'll be going to pick up Guido, a male piggy my
friend needs to rehome (they're moving and can't keep their pets, which
is too bad because they're all animal people).  I've only met him once -
held him so my friend could trim his nails, and he bit me good - but I
seem to recall him being a busy little fellow.  Sometime next month,
I'll make him an appointment with my exotics vet, get the pre-op
bloodwork done, and have him neutered.  Then (a month after that) I can
house the two together - I'm sure they'll both like that!  :)

I've been told I can't have more than two at a time, sad to say.  My
boyfriend tolerates the animals, and he doesn't mind looking after them
and giving them treats once in a while, but that's about it.  So I'm
consoling myself with the thought that if I can't have more than two
live pigs at a time, then I should certainly be able to have plenty of
guinea pig paraphernalia - calendars, figurines, books, etc.  (The bf
doesn't seem to buy into the idea, but I'll talk him into it eventually.)

-Janna & Isabella (until Guido arrives)

--
http://thehoskincentre.com

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." - Albert Camus
"I want to remake the world; anything less is not worth the trouble." - Karen Cushman