[Gpdd] [RAINBOW BRIDGE] Condolences for Peppermint

debjonsara at aol.com debjonsara at aol.com
Tue Aug 26 11:23:31 EDT 2008

Corrine and Michael

My heart so goes out to you on the loss of your precious piggie, Peppermint. I live in rural France, and although my vet does her best, she freely admits that she is NOT a piggie expert - mine are the only piggies she sees! I take in print-outs of advice from the Internet or what rodentologists in the UK have said on the phone, or she looks things up in books, but she has yet to save any piggie of mine, although she did once successfully stitch up a wound. I know how frustrating it is to take an animal from one vet to another and find no one who can help it. I had it with my rabbits as well, to the extent that eventually I had to give up my one remaining rabbit and take her to live in the UK near a rabbit-savvy vet (where she has reached 5 years old).

What you MUST NOT do is blame yourself for her death. You did everything you could. You didn't kill her. It's not your fault you do not have access to a guinea pig expert vet. In truth, I think only a lucky few really do. And even then, very often the expert vets are unable to save them. They are fragile creatures. If they are ill, they hide the fact until the illness is too advanced for anyone to do anything to make them well.

Peppermint will have understood that you were doing your best for her. I am sure they know. They are sensitive creatures, and can feel our love and concern. She will have understood that you tried your very best - that's probably why she hung on so long. All of us recognise that special bond slaves have with their piggies. Some have it with all their piggies, some with just one or two. I have it with my Soulage, and I had it with precious paraplegic baby Cherub, who only lived 5 weeks but lives eternally in my heart. You know she understands you, and you can understand her. You know in your heart that she didn't blame you, that she knew you did your best.

We know how much you are hurting, and it would be wrong to pretend that hurt will go away, because I don't think it ever fully does. I know Alge stil hurts for her departed piggies, because like us, she lacks access to competent veterinary care. But try to focus on the love and friendship the two of you shared, the fun and cuddles you had and the fact Peppermint is now free from pain in that wonderful lush green meadow at the Rainbow Bridge.

I send you a comforting hug across the ocean, and will remember you in my prayers.

Debbie (and the 11 Dolly Mixtures)