[Gpdd] [ANNOUNCEMENT] Please welcome Dolly Mixture Minstrel

debjonsara at aol.com debjonsara at aol.com
Thu Aug 28 06:46:50 EDT 2008

A bit like Penny, I was determined not to adopt any more guinea pigs after Zebra and Cannelletto were born as a result of an "accident" involving dear departed Claude before he was castrated. My main reason is that the vet care for them here is so inadequate, it breaks my heart to watch them pass away without my being able to do much to nurse them back to health.

BUT, as you know, I hate to see lone piggies, so when Cannelletto passed away, after keeping his brother Zebra alone in a cage beside Fidget and Scrabble all winter, when he moved out to the runs last summer I knew I had to get him a new cagemate, even though his run was beside that of his friends'. Thus I acquired Scoot, about whom I did post last summer. They got on fine in the outdoor run all summer, but when I moved them indoors for the winter, to my amazement it was little Scoot that became the bully, and Zebra took up residence on top of his wooden house, refusing to descend either to eat, drink or poop. So, they were separated, and lived in separate cages beside Fidget and Scrabble all winter.

Then Fidget passed away in March, and Scrabble was left alone, which he really didn't like. So when I moved them outdoors for the summer, I tried Zebra in with Scrabble and sought another cagemate for?Scoot - which is how I came to adopt Soturi, as you may remember. He was not a rescue as such, in that he came from a loving home, but I didn't pay for him, and he did need a home; his slave had suffered a stroke and her partner had become so confused during her absence that he'd accidentally put females in with males - whoops! I was delighted with Soturi, as he was the first guinea pig I had ever been able to actually "choose", and he had the long wild hair I love so much in Soulage and Sable and loved in dear departed Scarecrow. But I was disappointed when Scoot seemed to take an instant dislike to him, even though I introduced them on neutral territory - he just ran at him constantly, and Soturi was obviously terrified. So they were separated, and I tried putting Scoot in with gentle, laid-back Scrabble and Soturi with Zebra.

Scrabble accepted Scoot, as they did already know one another through their cage bars and Scrabble just didn't like being a lone pig. Zebra tolerated Soturi, but there was no real companionship going on, and Soturi acted as though he was scared of Zebra. In the meantime Scoot did dominate Scrabble, which I felt was the last thing poor old sweetiepie Scrabble deserved - he had got on so well with Fidget, and indeed with Zebra.

Then a few weeks ago I got the chance to rescue some battery hens, and knowing the slave of Soturi's family was quite soppy about animals (she breeds alpacas for their wool), I persuaded her to adopt some hens as well if I delivered them, and asked whether she still had any little boy piggies available - and she did! So, when I dropped off the hens, I was able to choose another little boy to become Soturi's companion. What a treat for me, to have a choice again! And this time I chose a sweet, gentle black and white piggie with long, sleek hair, almost like a Peruvian - he reminds me a bit of dear old Chestnut, or Lady Chessington, as I used to call her. As he was black and white, the name Minstrel came instantly to me for him, and his personality is gentle, like a minstrel, in stark constrast to Soturi, whose name means warrior in Finnish.

When I first got Minstrel home I was quite worried about him, because he just went completely floppy when I picked him up - like a rag doll. Scoot and Soturi were both the opposite, very tense and keen to leap out of my grasp if ever they got the opportunity. Actually, they are both still like that. Scoot still scoots everywhere. I'm afraid he is destined to remain a lone piggie, next to others but not sharing their cages - he is too much of a bully. Zebra is happily back with Scrabble, whom he has known as a neighbour all his life.

Soturi didn't attack Minstrel, nor vice versa. Minstrel wants to be friends with Soturi, but I think after two bad experiences with cagemates, plus he had old war wounds when he arrived,?Soturi is very nervous of other pigs. Minstrel is making all the right noises, and being as gentle and submissive as he can. But to date, Soturi mostly runs away from him. Sometimes I think there is now an element of play in the chasing, and they have at last started eating their salads in situ at the same time, whereas at first each would grab an item then run off to eat it somewhere else. I am optimistic that they will settle down and become friends eventually, as they are both still very young. I will be able to interact with them more myself once they are moved back into the house for the winter, and I am hoping Soturi may become more accepting of being handled once he sees how relaxed Minstrel is.

I think I somehow missed some of Alge's postings about Chase, but it seems to me that he and Minstrel may be kindred spirits, as Minstrel at present is doing a lot of chasing,?though not in an aggressive way at all.

I have missed having the gpdd during these first few weeks with Minstrel - I could really have done with some advice as to how to help Soturi to lose his apprehension and accept him more readily. But time seems to be helping, so I guess I just need to be patient.

Anyway, this is getting too long, so I must finish and post. Thanks for listening - it is good to be back!

Debbie (and the 11 Dolly Mixtures)