[Gpdd] [BEHAVIOR] <sudden aggression to cage mate>

Maribel Pascual wimmelchen at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 4 04:20:13 EST 2008

Hi everyone,

I don't post things very often but my GP Poppy has me baffled. She and her
cage mate Boo have been sharing the cage since July but Poppy has suddenly
developed a vicious aggressiveness towards Boo (girl also). Both are
approximately a year old and Boo has had a litter whereas Poppy hasn't. They
were never really cuddly (Poppy always the dominat one and Boo the
submissive) but there has not been any aggression apart from the odd lift of
the head showing the incisors. However Poppy now flies at Boo and bites
her repeatedly rattles her teeth and puffs up her coat. Poor Boo nearly
jumped out of the cage trying to escape it was so relentless...As I said, I
am completely baffled by this behaviour as I have not changed a single
thing!

I have now added a divide to the cage to keep Boo save but this is obviously
not ideal for the long term.

Does anyone have any suggestions of why this is happening and whether I can
stop it and how?

Fanx,

Maribel, Poppy & Boo