[Gpdd] RAINBOW BRIDGE: Remembering The Blob

GARY HESS joanhess4 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 6 14:09:14 EST 2008

Blobby was an enigma. Was she mentally challenged? Depressed? A mystic, perhaps with her mind in some other realm? I'll never know this side of The Bridge.
The Blob was a big girl and very striking in appearance. She was a long-haired Abby, white with lovely gray markings and blue eyes. She grew up with Vrie and The Bun in a roomy cage in our livingroom (before I knew the hazards of housing these two species together). My young sons gave The Blob her unique name because, unlike her lively and joyous room mates, she would sit and stare for hours on end, like a furry blob. Only one thing appealed to this mysterious creature. We'd have picnics on the guest bed with all kinds of goodies and we'd invite our parakeets to join in the feast. The picnic, however, was not the main source of pleasure for The Blob. She'd burrow under the towels I used to protect the bed and she'd lunge out, teeth chattering, at The Bun. Poor Blobby really though she was terrifying her room mate when, in fact, The Bun had caught on right away and started deliberately provoking her. When the picnic was over, she returned to her blobbing
 stance, and the mystery continued. Eventually,The Bun moved into her own cage, but there was no change in Blobby's behavior.
The Blob died as enigmatically as she lived. At only a couple years of age she stopped eating for a day or two and was gone. I didn't know enough to have taken measures to save her. Vrie paid no heed to her deceased friend's body and showed no sign of missing her. I wonder if it was because The Blob was never really all there. I wish someone had made a connection with her on earth, but I know that whatever restrained her from participating in life no longer binds her.
The gpdd piggies who have crossed The Bridge are so blessed to have had loving families who will miss them. I wish I could have done more for The Blob. Until we meet again on the other side, she will remain a mystery.
Joanie