[Gpdd] Behavior : Sudden aggression to cage mates

Algernon07 at aol.com Algernon07 at aol.com
Mon Dec 8 03:41:49 EST 2008

Hi--
     Chester and Charlie were infant cage mates (3+ weeks old -- tiny) from a
rescue though not litter mates, They lived in happy harmony for many long
months (They used to stroll together across their cage rumblestrutting and
burring or purring.) then one day Charlie rumblestrutted toward Chester alone and
Chester had a fit.There were both in the air fighting in a nanosecond!! It was
only about 3 years later -- in the 2 or 3 months before losing Chester to the
Bridge that they could even do shared play time. My original "3 jolly rodents"
loved to play together loved playtime, but Mr. Cooders took a strong playtime
dislike to Chester, as well, and the two would puff up at each other, chatter
teeth, the whole display. So they lived in cages next to each other. Touching
for conversation and company but divided for protection. Fighting can be
horrible between small animals so you did the best possible thing in separating
them. Others will offer other (and better) advice, but you've made the best
start. I have, by the wway, have had others who have lived together most
companionably.

All best,
Alge and the Jolly Rodents Caribbean Piggy Pirate Crew