[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT- introducing Holly

Jaime rzm.2 at juno.com
Tue Dec 9 16:16:40 EST 2008

 Hey everybody! I have good news & bad news. Unfortunately they're both the same. We have a new foster piggie from the Humane League. Her name was Shirley but we didn't like that, so in the spirit of the holiday season, we have changed her name to Holly. She is an adorable little white piggie with an orange & brown face, a little coronet(sp?) on her head & a brown spot on her butt. She was left, along with many other piggies, in a cardboard box, in a shopping cart, in the parking lot of a local grocery store over the night. It's a miracle that they are still here. Right now in the part of PA where I live, it is around 10-20 degrees at night. Some were in bad shape & the H.L. thinks they were breeding piggies. They sent some of the worse ones to a small animal rescue they work with, since they don't have enough people that foster small animals. They adopted out one piggie & the new owners took her to the vet for a check up & found out she is pregnant. So they did not want to adopt any more of the females out until they know they are not pregnant.
 Now, that is the background, I will tell you about Holly's situation. She isn't any more then 3-5 weeks old. She is very small & malnourished, although since yesterday she is starting to chow down pretty good! I don't know at what age piggies can get pregnant. Is she too young to be pregnant, or is it possible? I am afraid for her, because she is so tiny & has been through so much, that I think she would not be able to survive a pregnancy. Is there any way I can tell if she is pregnant? Some info on her: she has not had any socialization with humans as far as the H.L. can tell & so far that seems to be holding true. She wouldn't come out of her igloo for anything & I was concerned that she wasn't eating or drinking, so yesterday & today I took out the igloo during the day & she has really come to life. I put it back in at night so she'll be warm for sleeping. Although, I have to give her credit, she let me pet her a few times & has purred at me a few times. She also has been making little chutting noises yesterday & today too. Also, the H.L. gave us Oxbow timothy hay & Kaytee pellets. That is fine, but since she is so young & possibly pregnant, I know she should be having alfalfa hay. I am not working right now due to health issues & cannot afford to go out & buy her the stuff the H.L. doesn't provide. Does anyone have any suggestions on things I can do to help her malnutrition & possible pregnancy? Please say a little prayer for her that she is not pregnant. I will post a pic of her on my piggie blog soon. She & Mimi have yet to meet, but soon I will put them in seperate playpens next to each other at night so they can chat.

~Jaime, Mimi & Daisy~(& Holly too!)
~Molly, Radar & Albert always in our hearts~
http://piggiepages001.blogspot.com/