[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENT: Two more Dolly Mixtures join SCAMPS!

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Feb 5 01:33:30 EST 2008

To my great delight, I am happy to announce that Dolly Mixture Fidget
celebrated his 5th birthday yesterday, 3rd February, and Cherry celebrated her  5th
birthday today - so they both join Scarecrow, Soulage and Sable in  the Senior
Citizen Ageing Miracle Pig Society (SCAMPS). Fidget, son of  Spice Girl
Poivre, was actually the twin brother of my beloved paraplegic  Cherub, who sadly
only made it to 5 weeks of age, and also brother to  our dearest departed Red
Dandy, and to Cayenne, the youngest piggie to  die in the massacre by dogs on
3rd May 2003, and Pickle, who was  rehomed. Fidget was actually rehomed on the
day Cherub went to The  Bridge, as was Cherry, who was daughter of the biggest
Spice girl, Cannelle, and  sister to Vanilla, who went to The Bridge as a
baby, Scruff, who went to The  Bridge in 2004, and Spike and Batman, who were
rehomed separately. Cherry is  also big sister to Zebra, but to a different
father.

Fidget and Cherry were returned to me about a year later, when the family
who had adopted them moved to an apartment on Jersey in the Channel Islands. I
had always minded them when the family went on holiday, so I have always had
close contact with them. Fidget is one of those rare "chirruping" piggies, and
 actually he was chirruping very softly under his breath when I sang happy
birthday to him yesterday. He has had numerous health problems over the years,
including several foreign bodies in his eye, and as I have said previously,
he  has been steadily losing weight over the past six months or so. He loves
his  food, and chatters endlessly with his cagemate Scrabble and his neighbours
Zebra  and Scoot.

Cherry has always been one of those "rattly" piggies. At first I used to
worry a lot, and give her Sudafed, but now I have accepted that she is just like
that - although after reading about fellow SCAMP Lady Bug, I do wonder  about
her heart. She loves her food - continued eating enthusiastically even  when
she was paralysed - and is active at floortime. She was the one I posted
about last year when she suddenly developed paralysis in her back legs. I really
though I was going to lose her, but got my daughter to send across some liquid
 Osteocare from the UK and administered it as advised by Peter Gurney, and
she  made a miraculous recovery, much to my tremendous relief.

I never thought I would be lucky enough to share my life with these piggies
for five whole years, and I have been dreading this year a little, thinking  I
was bound to lose them all at five. But now I read about Duke, who has just
turned six, and others making it to seven and more ... and sometimes I dare
hope  that this time next year at least some of the Dolly Mixtures may be
fortunate  enough to celebrate another birthday.

Are there any more potential SCAMPS out there who haven't yet enrolled?
Every pig who makes it to 5 years old can join, and I'll post a list of members
from time to time to lift all our spirits and raise our expectations.

Debbie (and the Dozen Dolly Mixtures, in rural Northwest  France)