[Gpdd] HEALTH: What Do You Feed a Piggie with Molar Spurs?

pat schuett bunzella at yahoo.ca
Thu Feb 7 12:46:24 EST 2008

My piggie Doris had molar spurs filed down two months
ago and I suspect she needs them done again.  I'm
taking her in to the vet tomorrow morning, but
wondered if you slaves experienced with the care and
comfort of piggies with spurs had any tips on what to
feed in the meantime.

She is pretty much off pellets at the moment, even
ones that have been softened with a bit of warm water.
 I used to have a bunny with spurs who loved pellet
mushballs (pellets soaked in diluted fruit juice or
mixed with baby food, then rolled into little balls)
when her mouth was sore, but I tried Doris with those
last night and she was NOT interested (though her
buddy Audrey thought they were great!).  She is still
eating her veggies with great enthusiasm (chopped
celery, carrot bits, cilantro, cucumber and red pepper
are the mainstays) but I'm worried about causing tummy
problems by loading her up with way more of those than
she normally gets.  They normally only get bits of
fruit as a treat now and again, but most fruit is also
quite acidic and seems like that would hurt her mouth
(maybe why she didn't like the mushballs).

I know she's still eating some hay, but less than
usual for sure.  I have some "treat" hay that is
lighter than their usual stuff but she gets poopy butt
if she eats a lot of that...

So, do you have any tips for me and Doris????  I
wondered about a bit of oatmeal or something like that
to add calories, but again, I don't want to upset her
tummy... Hopefully it will be dealt with tomorrow but
I hate to think about her having to choose between
being hungry and hurting her mouth by eating things
she shouldn't!

                                       Pat S.