[Gpdd] Rainbow Bridge and New Additions!

SgtMickey at aol.com SgtMickey at aol.com
Fri Feb 8 23:43:20 EST 2008

Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've checked in with the group but I'm still a
faithful reader and my thoughts are with all of you who have had a piglet cross
over the bridge.  I myself lost one of my dear buddies, my agouti rex  Lincoln
passed away in early January.  I rescued him from the Vanderburgh  Humane
Society in Evansville, IN nearly two years ago.  My thoughts are  that he was
actually a lot older than they said he was at the time of his  surrender.  This is
often the case with the smaller animals that are  surrendered to us (I work
there too).  Often they come in and no one has a  clue of their age.  I'm
saddened by my loss as Lincoln was my little buddy.  His only attachment was to me
despite the fact that he peacefully coexisted with  my two other males from the
VHS.  I was glad to have at least made the last  two years of his life happy
and loved.

My other news is the fact that I have some new arrivals now.  Before
Christmas a trio of pigs were surrendered to the shelter.  As it turned  out, one of
the three was a she.  I fell in love with her instantly. She's  a beautiful
blonde Abyssinian who I named Aurora (Rori for  short). She's a doll and loves
to cuddle. She's my movie buddy as she'll  often lay with me on the couch while
i watch a movie:) Three weeks ago, she  surprised me with three beautiful
pups who have settled right into my  herd.  I've brought home females before that
have been housed with  males.  This is the first time however that one
actually had babies.   I'm really enjoying having the little ones and they seem to
be quite happy as  well. I've handled them since day one and they are slowly
learning that I'm  their human mom and that I love them.

What I find most interesting  is that the matriarch of my herd of females,
Calliope, went into a false  pregnancy as the result of Rori's real one.  This
kind of gave me a bit  into Calliope's past as she is a rescue as well that
I've had for a year  now:)  I noticed a lot of barbering of Calliope's fur.  I
wasn't sure  if she was doing it or if Rori was.  I know that Gaea, my other
female  wasn't doing it.  She's a coronet (also rescued from the VHS) and has
enough hair to deal with.  When Rori had the pups, I was really surprised  when
Calliope stepped in and was the surrogate mom to the pups. They even tried  to
nurse from her.  It's been quite a learning experience.  One  that I only
recommend for the master guinea pig owners.  Newbies will  probably pull their
hair out too.

Anyway, that's my story.  My herd is up to 8 now.  Boys and girls  are of
course separate now.  8 is enough:)
Hope you all are well and that you're piglets are up to no good:)

Sydney &
Bentley, Cooper, Aspen, Calliope, Gaea, Rori, Athena and  Aura

48)