[Gpdd] MISCELLANEOUS: SCAMPS

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Sat Feb 9 13:10:38 EST 2008

Grace

Sorry to bewilder you! SCAMPS is the Senior Citizen Ageing Miracle Pig
Society, and embraces all guinea pigs who reach the Grand Old Age of 5 years and
above. I just thought it would be a good idea to keep track of how many of our
piggies made it to over 5 years, and exchange hints about care of Senior
Citizen  piggies. I have asked all slaves of pigs aged over 5 years to give me
their  details, and so far there are 15 SCAMPS that I know of :

Dee's Pumpkin - at least 6 years old
Joan's Lady Bug - 5 1/2 years old
Heather's Seussy - 6 1/4 years old
Milton's Noodle - 5 years old
Penny's Satin - 5 years old
Penny's Pansy - 5 years old
Glynis's Duke - 6 years old
Joanne's Tootsie/Footsie - 7 years old
Antoinette's Freckles - 7 years old
Antoinette's Speckles - 7 years old

Plus my own five, Scarecrow, Soulage, Sable, Fidget and Cherry, who have  all
just turned 5 - they, or their heavily pregnant mums, were all rescued from
a very unscrupulous breeder in January 2003.

A lot of other gpdd slaves have posted to tell us of many other piggies who
have survived well over 5 years of age, which is extremely encouraging, as I
did  once hear that the CCT in the UK found from a survey that the average age
of  departure for The Rainbow Bridge was just 4 years. I used to really dread
mine  being 4 for that reason, but now I am hopeful that at least some may
make it to  7 like Tootsie, Freckles and Speckles, and many departed
Piggyfriends.

I think we have all reached the conclusion that genetics is probably a  major
influence over life expectancy, though of course even a piggie  genetically
pre-disposed to reach a ripe old age will not do so if it does not  receive
proper care. I used to think mine were probably destined to die young  because
they came from such appalling conditions, with much inbreeding,  overcrowding,
poor diet etc., and it is true some did become ill and die. But  now I am
thinking that maybe, BECAUSE the conditions they came from were so  appalling, the
ones I rescued were largely the toughest, most genetically  pre-disposed to
fight off illness and infection - a kind of direct result of  "survival of the
fittest". I suspect that many of that awful woman's piggies  died young as a
result of their poor care, so those who survived long enough to  breed had the
strongest constitutions, which they then passed on to their  offspring. This
could explain how come so many of Penny's rescues also survive  into old age. It
is an excellent argument for adopting rescue piggies, don't you  think? Sadly
though, you can never be sure of the actual age of a rescue piggie  if it is
rescued as a fully grown adult.

Birdie, is it you that has the gpdd roll call? Forgive me if it isn't - I  am
over 50 myself, and prone to frequent "senior moments"! I just wondered how
many piggies we have between us altogether - it would be interesting to know
what proportion of our piggies are aged over 5.

Wheeks to all piggies everywhere

Debbie (and the Dozen ageing Dolly Mixtures)