[Gpdd] ANNOUNCEMENTS: Rainbow Bridge and SCAMPS

family.duffy at virgin.net family.duffy at virgin.net
Sun Feb 10 13:17:20 EST 2008

Birdie, when you get the hang of your new computer I would be very grateful if you would update the roll call for The Surrey Squeakers. Sadly, two of them went to The Bridge on the same day. They were completely unconnected passings, one from my old pen and one from my new one, even though all the pigs were in the shed at the time. Firstly, dear little Squash, who had been fading for a long time, finally lay down for the last time. She had been a real enthusiast for life. Whenever vegetables or grass were about to be delivered to the pen, she used to wait until the pen door was open just a little bit, then put her head in the gap and shove the door open wide, as if to say "Hurry up with that food!". She was probably very old, but she was a pleasure to know and I will miss her so much. Later that same day I went to the shed and noticed very unusual behaviour from Pawpaw. Because my pigs live outside most of the time in a large space, they are a little on the wild side. They can be very hard to catch, but (apart from the two who were born here) they are all happy to be cuddled once you get hold of them. On this occasion, Pawpaw just stood still in front of me and made no attempt to run away. I stroked her and talked to her and wasn't too worried because she appeared to be in fine health. Half an hour later, she had crossed The Bridge. She was a beautiful pig. She had even featured on my homemade Christmas cards last year.On a happier note, Debbie, please could I add two piggies to the SCAMPS membership? I have no idea how old most of my piggies are. Some rescues don't even attempt to give them an age, whilst others underestimate it greatly in order to make them more adoptable. Mickey, I know, was born at the beginning of 2002, so he is around 6 years old. He is very sprightly and energetic and a LAPS member too! Frascati came here as an adult in 2003, and must therefore be well over 5 years old. Unfortunately, she is showing her age but is still running around and eating well and would love to be an official SCAMPS member. Thank you.Stefanie and The Surrey Squeakers