[Gpdd] BRIDGE Condolences for Tea

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Feb 13 12:46:09 EST 2008

Claire,

That must have been such a shock for you to find that Tea had left you so unexpectedly. I am so very sorry for you and for Biscuit, who must be missing his little friend.

Sadly, it sometimes happens, when we are least expecting it. I have lost piggies who were happily eating, hadn't lost weight and who appeared perfectly healthy. I am sure that I have told his story before, but Tea reminds me of my Raffles, who had eaten his morning carrot, with me watching over the herd to make sure that everyone WAS eating up and then set off across his pen towards his dry food bowl and keeled over on the way. He had died instantly and it was a terrible to shock to me and to his brother Rolo who rushed to his side and tried to stand him up. Rolo was inconsolable and stopped eating. I had to syringe feed him for several days. Luckily, I have lots of piggies and Rolo was comforted by having a pen of sows, with whom to chat, on either side of his and Raffles' home.

I hope that Biscuit will be OK on his own but in my experience, a pair of boars always bond more than sows. A bereaved sow will take comfort in being put in another group but boars seem to take it hard. Whenever possible, I always introduce a new baby boar to one left behind or pair up two singletons. I realise that this is not possible for everyone but would just advise you to take extra care of Biscuit with lots of cuddles, which I am sure that you are doing anyway.

Please accept our most sincere condolences on your loss. We know exactly how you and your husband must be feeling right now, having just lost our little Nova.

With all our sympathy,

Take care,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.