[Gpdd] HEALTH- mites

Jaime rzm.2 at juno.com
Wed Feb 20 19:21:05 EST 2008

Carole-
  Here is some info I have in my piggie files that I saved from past issues of the digest about how others have treated mites:
   If your piggie has mites, do not let the vet give the pig an anti-inflammatory
injection, the mites make the pigs nervous system more sensitive & they can
react very badly to the injection.
  To treat mites vets will usually suggest shots, which usually don't
always help the 1st time & are painful to our piggies! A good
alternative is NEEM oil. Rub the oil into the piggies skin & hair
and leave on 2-3 days. After that you bathe them & repeat if necessary.
Usually is not. Only drawback is that NEEM oil is VERY smelly.
But effective.
  Mites do not show up under magnifying glasses or skin
scrapings.  They live under the skin and if left untreated can cause seizures and
ultimately death.  Serious stuff. You don't need a vet to treat for mites and the
treatments won't hurt Teddy.  You'll need to treat at least 3 times 7 days apart.

  If you have a feed store or farm supply near you, you can buy the horse paste Ivermectin
(with Ivermectin ONLY, nothing added!) and make up your own dosage.  Go to
www.guinealynx.com for the correct dosing which depends on his TRUE weight which means
you'll have to accurately weigh him, no guessing : ).  This is an inexpensive way to go as
vets charge way too much.

  If you don't have these resources another place you can go is CalVet.  I don't remember
the site address so just Google them.
  Hope some of this helps Misty.

~Jaime & Mimi~
~Molly, Radar & Albert always in our hearts~
http://piggiepages001.blogspot.com/

Click here to save cash and find low rates on auto loans.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2121/fc/Ioyw6i3ndyIS16pOfF2sKV7EZu26OtnqiVs5PBCzS3ztq0skII4zBX/