[Gpdd] [HEALTH] <Lice>

Cindy calliope at geeksnet.com
Fri Feb 29 21:08:09 EST 2008

Sara, you've probably received a lot of answers about guinea pig lice, but I will add my two cents.  Fortunately guinea pig lice and human lice are different; we can't get piggie lice and they can't get human lice.  One method to get rid of piggie lice is to bathe the piggie in a flea-and-tick shampoo that is made for kittens or puppies.  (Shampoo for cats or dogs is too strong for piggies.)  The piggie might need more than one shampoo, a week apart or so.  You can also comb or pick some of the eggs out.  It's a little icky, but again they won't bother you.  I'm sure others can offer more information.

Hope this helps.

Cindy, Tumbleweed, and Friday, missing Sunshine