[Gpdd] [RAINBOW BRIDGE] Our Sweet Ginger

Leigh B. sunlitrose at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 2 14:00:49 EST 2008

Dear Friends,

  In the early hours of this morning, and very unexpectedly, we lost our beautiful Ginger. Last night our little girl was playfully begging for her veggie treats. This morning, we found her stretched out in her pigloo, as though she had just walked in and suddenly collapsed. She was one of the healthiest piggies we have ever known, and this has come as quite a shock. She was our very first rescue piggie, left at a local pet store by a couple who said that they had developed an allergy to her. The clerk at the check-out counter was playing with her when I came in to pick up some hay. After holding this very "talkative" little piggie for a few minutes, looking into her beautiful large brown eyes, and hearing her purrs and coos of delight ( I assume it was delight...maybe she was just nervous...lol ) every time I would run my hand over her soft brown and white fur, I knew that she was coming home with me. I was told at the time that she was about a year old.This was in 2004. I
 wonder now if maybe she weren't actually a little older. Not long after she became a member of our family, we began to see another side of our Gingeypeach, as we often called her. If you happened to try to touch her and she didn't want to be touched, she would whip around and try to bite the daylights out of you. I have been on the receiving end of those teeth more than once! Yet, you couldn't look into those big brown eyes and not love her. She also began to "bunnyhop", one of the symptoms of vitamin C deficiency our vet told us. After over a month of vitamin C supplementation, our Gingeypeach was walking normally again. And  after this, I don't recall Ginger ever being sick. And as time passed, she became more gentle, and no longer tried to bite us. As feisty as she could be at times, she was often bullied by some of our other female piggies. They would challenge her and she would just stand in one place and squeal over and over until the other piggie either walked away
 or one of us came to rescue her. She really loved her fresh fruits and veggies, alternately runnning up and down the length of her cage, and climbing up the side...stretching up as high as she could...until the cage door was opened, whereupon she would practically climb out... so anxious was she to receive her goodies! This was her behavior last night, and so you can imagine how very surprised and very sad we are today to have found her gone. She was such a special little girl. We loved her so much...still do, and always will. She had grown so sweet and gentle as she grew older. Little did we know that she would leave us so soon, and so suddenly. I wish I knew what happened to her...I didn't have a clue that this was coming.

  To all who have lost a dear piggie family member recently, the Piggie Pals and I extend our heartfelt condolences.

  Rest in Peace, our sweet Gingeypeach. We were so lucky to have known you. We love you, and will never forget you and the joy that you brought into our lives.

  Sadly,
  Sherry and the Piggie Pals