[Gpdd] CARE: cold weather

family.duffy at virgin.net family.duffy at virgin.net
Wed Jan 2 15:37:57 EST 2008

Hello DonnaUntil last year my piggies lived outside all the time (in England) and coped easily with the cold weather. I always made sure that they had hay up to the ceiling in their hutches, and also used some microwaveable Snugglesafe pads. They are completely chew-proof and I used to put them under the newspaper which was under the hay in the hutch bedrooms. They are supposed to stay warm for hours, but they don't - probably only for about 2 or 3 hours - but they were still useful. The best way of staying warm was snuggling up with each other, and because I have quite large numbers of piggies that was easily done! I now have a thermostatically heated shed for cold weather (and it's supposed to snow tomorrow!) and it's made life much easier for ME, but I know that my piggies really prefer the outdoor life.Stefanie and The Surrey Squeakers