[Gpdd] [Announce] Manny the Boar is arrived at Penny Giggle Farm, city annex

warmbreath imwarmbreath at netscape.com
Thu Jan 3 04:45:58 EST 2008

Manny the Boar is at home resting comfortably after the indignations of moving house. I have rescued him from a home where the child lost interest and mom was too busy, He' is in pretty good shape except he is not socialized at all  Manny is about 2 and is a black and white Abyssinian boar, all black except for a white blaze, and white on his body is what I think is called roaning, its looks like salt and pepper hair, and a couple of white feetsies. And his eyes are different than any I've seen, they are black with a red cast.  When his hair grows back he should be quite a handsome boy and I'm sure he will be sneaking onto the computer before I know it to try and hook up with some unattached sows and meet the guys.

The odd thing is that he was promised me the day that Chester went to the bridge. Today I had a long chat with Alge as I am 100% convinced Chester was not Vit C deficient he got the right pellets and parsley all the time. I think he had stasis from all the symptoms Alge gave me, its a gut slowdown characterized by small dry poos or none at all, pain that prevents them from eating, and a gut slow down that has to be reversed quickly, it is much more common in bunnies than piggies, we should all learn to watch for it and treat it quickly. it is often fatal although I don't know how the mortality in GP's compares with that in buns.

The only problem there is an alopecia or hair loss on his flanks which I'm pretty sure is from burrowing mites. I got a tube of ivomectin and gave him an amount on the end of the a Q-tip. This will kill internal and external parasites with 3 applications spread over about a month. In sows this is almost always due to a hormone problem or cancer so that's why I checked to make sure he is indeed a boar. His nails and :boar parts are very healthy, I clipped the nails and ran a Q-tip through the "slot" of his "boar parts" to double check if he had an impaction and either he was well cared for or even better he is not a "butt dragger" which is a manly activity that seems to vacuum up all sorts of goo in the aforementioned  boar parts.

I'm feeding him cabbage, which has Vit C, and took a pill and ground it up and syringed it into his mouth cause I don't have any Oxbows or pharmacy chewables. He will have high Vit C food every day so between the 2 I think his hair will come back. If it doesn't its off to the vet or you all may have some ideas

He seems calmer now I think he will be a fine piggy and will become people friendly pretty quickly.  He came with Carefresh thank goodness as those pine or cedar chips can be lethal over a couple years as we all have learned..  He already likes to have the area under his chin scritched. Its heaven to have a Penny Giggle back in the house. I am one happy lady and I hope I can be a proper slave/ momma for Manny.
Sandy and Manny the Boar, New Penny Giggle, mourning Chester and too many fine pigs gone this year.