[Gpdd] [Care] sprouts for people and piggies

warmbreath imwarmbreath at netscape.com
Sat Jan 5 02:23:24 EST 2008

Jodi
in order for homegrown sprouts to be safe for you or your piggy is to wash them off in 10% bleach solution , rinse, and sprout, I believe.
Contact Territorial Seeds http://www.territorialseed.com/contact   or Nichols Seed Company   http://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/contactus.htm    both in Oregon.   Seeds untreated can transmit either salmonella or e coli.  Both of these companies sell the seeds, equipment, books etc . Sprouts as pig food, I'm not sure, If I recall they have higher protein than the plants they produce and piggies cant do allot of protein, bad for little kidneys I think, so small amounts are probably ok
good luck
Sandy and Manny the Boar