[Gpdd] Misc - Thanks Penny!

Marie-Louise Korterink marie-louise at mweb.co.za
Mon Jan 7 17:08:12 EST 2008

Dear Penny and the piggyfriends,

Thanks for the welcome. I find your work SO admirable. We don't have any rescue centres (shelters) in South Africa yet but I occasionally rescue and re-home piggies. People here still believe in feeding cheap rabbit pellets only and keeping them in big groups leading to constant pregnancies.
I think I remember reading one of your mails where you dealt with and ignorant owner and I was amazed at your patience. I sometimes lack this virtue as every now and then I get the most hideous phone calls.

Last week a lady phoned me and told me that her pups were 3 days old and asked if they were old enough to be taken to the pet shop! I chatted with her a bit in the hope to give her some correct information. She did not know that Vitamin C should be part of their diet and was not able to sex them. I explained that she had to keep boars and sows apart and offered to come to her house to sex her piggies. She said she would let me know when I could come, she never phoned me back!

I suppose this is Africa and in some ways we'll always be a bit behind Europe but I have moments that I get despondent and feel like I'm adding drops to an ocean. But then I read the GPDD and I'm reminded that there are many people who try to educate owners and help the homeless and neglected piggies and it gives me hope and some patience again.

Marie-Louise
and all my precious piggies.