[Gpdd] Health: Ivermectin

Kirsten McKnight kirsten.mcknight at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 23:27:54 EST 2008

Hi all,

I know there have been many posts about ivermectin on the list but I hope
those of you who have used it won't mind sharing the information again.

Squeeeks and her papa winkle have some bald spots on their backs and under
the chin as well in Squeeeks case. I'm not sure if she has been rubbing her
chin on her food bowl or not thus causing the bald spot, but she definitely
has bite marks on her back and Winkle has two long bald patches down his
back. The other three, Smoke, L'il Miz Moppit and Tribble don't seem to have
the bite marks or bald spots. I am wondering if they might be mites???

In which case does anyone know if Ivermectin is called Ivermectin in Canada
or if not, what the equivalent is? Also, what is the dosage? And is it okay
to dose them with it even if it turns out to not be mites...

I am also wondering if the culprit might be flies/bugs from the hay we've
been feeding them. A friend of mine has horses and is kindly selling me one
or two bales of timothy hay as I need them for $20 - which is a heck of a
lot more then they cost her, but a heck of a lot less then the Oxbow bale is
which is $75. We've started storing the hay in a closet which can be closed
and hanging Vapona strips to kill bugs but it will be a while until I know
if that is effective or not.

I don't want to harm them if I shouldn't give Ivermectin or equivalent
unless I'm sure it's mites - but if it's okay to give it as prophylactic
then I would like to as I hate seeing the bite marks and bald spots on the
sweeties.

Thanks for your help

Kirsten and the Critter Crew
remembering Licorice and Widget.