[Gpdd] CARE: Cleaning C&C Cages

jaaladog jaaladog at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 9 23:49:14 EST 2008

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful suggestions you have given me about
cleaning the cage.  I think what I have decided to do, for my sake and my
ease, is to get pigs and all assundry items out of the pen, get my dustpan
and a medium sized trash can.  Then, I will set the can inside the cage and
just start scooping and dumping and as it fills, put it into a trash bag.
When it's all out, I will take a little feather duster that I Have that
reaches about 18 inches and make sure I get the farthest corners.  After all
that is done, I will use the 1/2 vinegar, 1/2 water solution to spray an
wipe.  I will have to get Earl to get the farthest corners for me because my
arms don't reach quite far enough for that as I have a diabetic condition in
both shoulders and both of them really needs surgery but that is on hold for
now.  Actually, now that I think about it, I think the ultimate cleaning
method is just beg Earl to do it!  hehehehhehe.  The reason for me doing it
this way is because I don't want to try to scoop this stuff up, bring it up
and nout of the cage, locate the trash can and try to dump it in without
dropping it all over the floor in the process, which is exactly what would
happen.

So, I think this will work.  What do y'all think?

The girls are loving the cage but are much jumpier   than before.  When in
the old cage, I could reach in and pick both of them up without too much
trouble.  I could pick up Tabitha without any trouble.  she would just sit
there and let me do it.  Now though, I walk to the cage and they scatter
like little bugs when the light comes on!  I have to corner them in one
thing or the other and then they aren't too happy about it.  Once I get them
out, they seem OK but seriously, Tabitha has become much less active when
held, less loving and friendly since all this started. I don't know if it is
because I put her through an avalanche or just because she's feeling her
oats and doesn't think she needs me now.  (Shrug)  But, I'll hope for the
best.  They are starting to mutter at me  a bit now more than they have been
for the last 2 days so maybe that's a start.  At the moment, they are over
there, nose to nose b-r-r-r-r'ing at each other.  "my b-r-r-r-r's louder
than your b-r-r-r-!

They are so funny and  I do so love them!  I found some aspen shavings today
at petguys.com through Amazon and they had 2000 cu ft. for 3.56 on sale.  I
ordered 4 bags and paid $10 in shipping. Again, not  bad price, I don't
think.  Wait a minute, I think I found them on Ask.com, actually.  I hope
some of you all will find this stuff helpful.  I know I am the bargain
hunting queen of my house and am always happy to share the savings with
others.

Talk more later,
Lynn, Samantha & Tabitha