[Gpdd] [MISC]<Spay and Tunnel>

Janneke Staaks jannekestaaks at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 14:57:48 EST 2008

Hi all,

I wanted to say two things, first of all. I do not really agree that sows should be spayed. It's a lot more invasive surgery than a castration. I'm a bit torn about this because i know that indeed many elderly sows have cysts (our guiny being one of them). But many of them are not that much bothered by them and there are other methods, you can drain the cyst with a needle or 'pop' it (both should be carried out by a vet). There are not many vets that are experienced with cyst surgery (at least not in the netherlands). Personally, i dont like taking the risk.

Secondly, i do have a suggestion for something cuddly that pigs dont pee in. I make tunnels for my pigs. ( http://xs219.xs.to/xs219/07381/Sept17b.JPG ) I use a fabric for the outside to which the hay doesnt cling and something soft for the inside, like fleece or something more synthetic (but still soft). And i use the fluffy white stuff which is used in a thick coat (or a quilt) in order to make it softer and which makes it more stiff so that it stays open, like a tunnel instead of a nice blanket to lie on. I make the tunnels a little bit too short for my pigs, and this is where the pig psychology comes in. Most pigs like to have something above their head, so they have to choose; bum outside or head outside ;-)

I'll let suus and igor write later this weekend (to charlie, fugly and manny) but i just had to get this out of my system ;-)

Janneke