[Gpdd] CARE Blind piggy

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Mon Jan 14 07:52:37 EST 2008

Erin,

My elderly Pansy has cataracts in both eyes. This does not stop her running around her pen with her two younger friends, Toffee and Crystal, and finds her way around perfectly during floor time. She runs through pipes without any difficulty and sits up and begs when the food arrives. She does not need to see me coming to know that a bag of grass is ready to be distributed.

Piggies do not have very good eyesight in any case and depend on their ears and noses far more than their eyes.

Having cared for piggies for very many years, I have come across blind piggies before. My Bianca was born blind but coped admirably in a group of sighted piggies. Topaz was born with only good eye due to micropthalmia but, despite being a Peruvian, with her long hair hanging forward over her eyes, was always first to the food pile.

Some have become blind in later years but I have never encountered one who found this any sort of handicap. Listening to a group of piggies eating up the last of the day's food in pitch darkness, I can quite understand why loss of vision is not a problem to our little ones.

Welcome to the GPDD and lots of love to your new piggy - do tell us his name.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.