[Gpdd] Misc:Back again

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 15 00:02:18 EST 2008

Hi all.  Sorry I haven't been posting much, just been busy.

  I'd like to express my sympathy to those who have lost a much loved piggy.  This is always hard.  They just don't stay with us long enough do they?

  Welcome to the new posters and welcome back to those who haven't posted in awhile.  Good to hear your "voices" again.

  For those of you who agonized with me through trying to figure out Lady Bug's health problems-an update.  It seems she is a heart pig.  A little over two months ago she had another really bad spell where I took her to the vet.  I truly did not think she would be coming home with me she was that bad.  Since nothing ever seemed to show up on any tests or x-rays and she was more gone than here, I had the doctor give her some Benazapril.

  It has made a huge difference.  She gets the Benazapril twice a day and Meloxicam once a day for her arthritis.  She is a different piggy.  She still does not do zoomies or popcorn but otherwise is very alert and interested in living.  She still eats a lot of food trying to be a LAPS piggy but we all know, she'll never make it.  She's just too little!  I expect she'll be with us for a long time to come.  She's 5 1/2 years old and doing her best to make 10 years!  She is back to her adorable demanding, pushy and spoiled little self.

  Just one more thing before I go.  I've been following the discussion on automatically spaying sows.  Hogwash!  In my opinion, more piggys, even sows, come down with stones than cysts.  As long as you're observant with your piggy and catch the signs, I would never have my little one spayed because she MIGHT come down with gyn problems.  In trying to determine just what was going on with Lady Bug she was very throughly examined and shows no signs at all of gyn problems even at her age.  This isn't to say she can't develop problems in the future but she's just as liable to develop stones.  I'm certainly not going to worry about either problem unless she displays symptoms.

  I'm not trying to change anyone's mind on the subject but with the high risks associated with ANY surgery, why create potential problems where none exist.  My two cents.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug