[Gpdd] HEALTH-UTI Treatment & Baytril--advice?

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Jan 16 14:09:55 EST 2008

Hello Mary K,

Sorry to read that your Buttons might have a UTI. Some piggies seem prone to this, just the same as some ladies. I have had to treat Gingerbread for this a few times and have previously had piggies who needed the occasional course of antibiotics for the same thing.

I used to use Baytril but switched to Septrin paediatric suspension about 3 years ago. Baytril tastes nasty but Septrin is banana flavoured and piggies tend to snatch at the syringe because they enjoy the medicine. When I used Baytril, I always followed it up with a slice of something tasty to take away the unpleasant taste.

With some UTIs a longer course of antibiotic is called for. I have also successfully used the human ladies cystitis remedy for a piggy ( a piggy dose of course, not the full amount ) but this may not be available where you live.

One thing to watch out for with a UTI is urine scald. When a piggy is suffering from a UTI, they tend to be very wet underneath and the ammonia in the urine can make the skin sore and painful. Sometimes the hair comes away too. If Buttons has this problem make sure that she is bathed gently in that area every day. Pat her dry very gently and apply some sort of soothing cream.  Not knowing where you live it is no use me recommending a product by name but use something that would be suitable for a human baby with nappy rash ( diaper rash??? ).

I always follow up a course of antibiotics with a probiotic to put the good bugs back into the system. Your vet will be able to recommend something suitable ( or one of our GPDDers ). I use Protexin, with comes in little sachets and can be mixed with a very little water and syringed but again this may not be available where you live.

Some people give persistent UTI sufferers cranberry juice. Pure, natural, unsweetened juice diluted in water. This is not to replace the antibiotics but it is thought that the juice interferes with the development of the infection. It is supposed to help with human sufferers too.

Hoping that Buttons soon improves,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.