[Gpdd] MISC Secret Santa gift exchange

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Wed Jan 16 14:29:53 EST 2008

We didn't participate in the Secret Santa gift exchange just the holiday card one. Firstly, because I thought it would be unfair to the slave who got us as their exchange as there are so many of us but secondly because of the trouble that I have, here in England, with receiving and sending presents from abroad.

I have friends in France and Australia, with whom I used to try to exchange birthday and holiday gifts but we had the utmost trouble at both ends getting a parcel to arrive intact. The customs at either or both ends try their best to open, destroy or remove the contents of packages. They often arrive having been badly resealed by the customs with half of the contents missing, despite my having filled in a declaration form when posting it. A card or a calendar seems to be ignored but anything that might resemble a gift has to be inspected.

Having just read Kay's post on this subject, I am wondering if that is what has happened her missing Santa gifts, particularly if she was trying to send something out of the country. We also had a lot of postal strikes in England, which caused no end of mail to disappear for weeks on end. I'm still waiting for a package that was posted in England.

It is a shame, when people have made such an effort to send lovely gifts to piggies and Alicia and Sailor Willie worked so hard to organise the exchange, that it sometimes goes wrong.

Penny and the Piggyfriends.