[Gpdd] CARE - Feeding courgettes and mulberry leaves

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Sat Jan 19 04:53:42 EST 2008

Marie-Louise,

We call them courgettes in England too. I grow them in my garden every summer as I love them. Unfortunately, I am the only member of my family who does and I wish that some of my piggies would help me out with the glut. I can't keep up with them and end up with piles of marrows, which I cannot even give away.

They are in the same family as pumpkins, which are joyfully eaten by many of our US piggies, but none of my herd has ever given a courgette any more than a cursory nibble before deciding that they are not interested. They are not listed by name on the Guinea Lynx list of veggies but it mentions pumpkin and summer squashes. See http://www.guinealynx.com/diet_vegs.html

I hope that your piggies might like them.

I can't remember the last time that I saw a mulberry tree in England. It must have been in a botanical garden somewhere. They can be grown here in a very sheltered area and the fruit tree nursery that I use can supply them. All that I know about feeding the leaves is that the white mulberry provides the leaves for silkworms to eat. This needs some more research!

Penny and the Piggyfriends.