[Gpdd] CARE: SCAMPS - and worming!

DebJonSara at aol.com DebJonSara at aol.com
Tue Jan 22 12:01:29 EST 2008

I sent this email to Joan, copied to the gpdd, but it bounced back with a
weird message, so I am trying to post it a second time!

I did post about SCAMPS some months back, and I knew Ladybug was eligible
for membership, plus Penny's Piggiefriends, Satin and Pansy and Milton's
Noodle. But there weren't that many responses, and several people posted about
SCAMPS who had already gone to The Bridge, so I thought I'd post it again, as I
suspect there are a lot more out there! I'd really like a record of all the
gpdd  piggies who are aged over 5 years - just interested to see how many there
are.

I worm my piggies regularly because the Cambridge Cavies Trust in the UK
recommend that one does this. They argue that if other herbivores are regularly
wormed, guinea pigs should be too. Mine are fed on ordinary hay that comes
from  local fields - in fact, this year I had to make my own from a meadow
someone had  cut, because there was a shortage here due to the terribly wet summer.
So it is  extremely likely that my piggies could catch any parasites which
affect the  cattle in the neighbouring fields and wild animals that pass through.
Fidget was  losing weight once before, and I think it was Cavies Castle who
asked if he been  wormed recently. I looked up my records and found it had been
longer than it  should have been (time flies when one is over 50!), so
rewormed everyone again,  and sure enough, he did regain some weight. But now this
is not happening - in  his time, he has weighed in at around 1200g (2.64 lbs),
but he has not gone  above 850g (1.87lbs) since September last year.

How do you know Lady Bug is a "heart pig"? Could I tell using my own
stethoscope here at home? My SCAMPS are not as active as they were when younger,  but
still enjoy floor time and exploring - and eating, of course!!

Love to Lady Bug and you

Debbie