[Gpdd] (Care) Metronidozole and not eating

Stacy Harvey ckrtsqrl2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 20:52:23 EST 2008

All,

  Sorry I haven't posted in a while--I have been extremely busy at school and have just now had some free time to get caught up on the digests.

  Does anyone have any experience with metronidozole? Willie came through his abscess surgery well and we finally got the bacterial culture back--we found out that it was Bacteroides spp. which is an anerobic bacteria. My vet put Willie on metronidozole, also known as Flagyl. It is an antiparasitic, but is also good for anaerobes. Willie has been on it for about a week and now he is just picking at his food. I've tried offering all his favorites, including Critical Care, but he just nibbles and walks away. He is eating lots of hay and some pellets, but not nearly as much as he had been before we started the meds. I know metronidozole upsets the stomach, so I've been giving him a little baby food before I give the meds. I hate force feeding him as he is not a very willing patient anyway and I don't want to make him reject syringe feeding or Critical care altogether, but it may come to that. I am going to call my vet and let her know, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a
 similar experience and could offer some suggestions until I can get him in for an office visit. He has not stopped eating entirely, but I don't want him to get any worse.

  Thanks in advance,
  Stacy and the Squee squad