[Gpdd] HELP: Pregnant piggies

joan fagalde momcat1000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 23 21:13:49 EST 2008

Hi Tammy.  Welcome to the GPDD.  To answer your questions, remove the boy piggy immediately.  The time for seperating boys from girls is THREE (3) weeks, not four.

  You can put your two females together now as they will act as "aunties" to each others litters and do fine.  If you are at all concerned about either of your females delivering, get yourself a cavy-savy vet "just in case" something goes wrong.  I hate to say this but the vet you have now may not be cavy-savy.  If they are unable to properly sex your piggys I'd be suspicious of him/her.

  If one of your girls is biting herself chances are they both have mites.  I would start treating right now with Ivomectin, dosed 7 days apart for at least 3 treatments.

  I too "read" the books and checked the internet before getting my little one.  I found out the hard way that there is a tremendous amount of very bad information out there and, personally, think all the care books should be burned.

  Two web sites I recommend are www.guinealynx.com and www.cavyspirit.com.  They both have great care, feeding and housing info. for you.  They even have both gret pictures and instructions for sexing piggys.  I hope your c&c is a large one.  My little single pig lives in a 2 X 3 1/2 c&c and it is by no means too large, even with her blindness.

  Good luck and, again, welcome to the Digest.

  Joan, slave to The Lady Bug