[Gpdd] MISC: Farewell

Ruth Leibowitz dr.leibq at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 5 15:54:51 EDT 2008

Dear fellow guinea pig lovers:

It is with a sad heart that I report that my dear little Babu Franklin, who had been adopted by a very nice family with other pigs after his sweetheart Nani Alice passed away, has now gone over the rainbow bridge himself.  He appeared to be doing very well with his new family. I visited him there a few weeks ago -- he seemed happy and healthy, and was "rooming" with a very nice cagemate named Bonkers.  He was getting love and attention.  But his health began to decline precipitously one weekend when their vet was not available -- and soon he was gone.  Fortunately, I got to see him twice in his new home before he went to the rainbow bridge. I am second guessing myself a lot -- should I have kept him?  Would I have noticed before his new family did that he was not doing well? But I know if he had stayed with me he would have spent almost every moment of his day all alone.  And I know that his new family loved him.  It is just hard to know he is not in the world anymore.  I am going to visit his adoptive family today or tomorrow to take some of his ashes home with me to bury with Nani Alice and to bring some goodies for their three piggies.  They (especially my friend's daughter) were devastated by his loss, and I feel bad that they did not have him for long (maybe about 2 months)...  He was only a little over three years old to my knowledge (maybe older, depending on how long he lived at the pet store -- I "rescued" him when he was already full grown and the pet store was trying to get rid of him).

With a sad heart I also say farewell to all of you.  Because I am allergic to guinea pigs, Babu is my last one.  I may "pigsit" for a few days at a time for the family that adopted Babu, but I will never again have my very own piggies since it was very hard on my respiratory system.

I have loved reading the posts on this list, even though I didn't reply to the group as a whole all that often.  I love the support you give one another, the humor, the caring for piggies, the creativity, the photographs, the virtual events, the respect for these wonderful creatures.  I'll stay on the list until I leave for Scotland on Wednesday.  I will miss you.

Ruth in Portland