[Gpdd] Care: Piggie Baths and Leah's comments

Cazza177 cazza177 at ntlworld.com
Thu Jul 10 13:44:32 EDT 2008

Dear Leah

I know what you mean about guinea pig baths.  There are dangers to giving
them, and one of mine gets terrible shakes when he has to have one, which is
why I get the CCT to see to mine.  (Mine do have them every now and again
because of an infuriating mites problem that has driven them (and me!)
bonkers.)

There is so much to explain about how to bath and NOT to bath a guinea pig,
and in writing this is difficult to get over clearly, so I have said to
Katie that she really needs to watch someone professional (a vet's nurse or
an animal rescue nurse) do this.  Katie's guinea pig actually inhaled water
when bathed, so that is why I gave Katie that advice.

However, Katie, if you are reading this, there's a lot of widsom in what
Leah has said.  Only bath your Lizzy if your vet says it is absolutely
essential.  Otherwise please don't do it, as there is the danger she could
inhale water again and not be so lucky the next time.

It is frightening to word it like that, but guinea pigs are delicate animals
and they really need to be handled with a lot of care and understanding.  I
know you care for Lizzy very much, Katie, so I know you will want what's
best for her, too.

Kind regards

Carole