[Gpdd] Health pregnancy and dry scaly feet questions

Folly Farm lfolly at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 12 02:39:54 EDT 2008

Hi,

We recently adopted a baby female piggy who'd been dumped at a petshop.  She has really dry feet with an almost fish scale looking growth all over the bare parts and spurs.  I took her to our regular piggy vet and he said it wasn't bumblefoot, and he'd never seen anything like it before.  He suggested soaking them in salty, warm water then gently rubbing them with a dry towel about once a week.  We've done this several times, and it gets rid of some of it, but  keeps coming back.  Has anyone ever seen anything like this?  Any suggestions?  We've switched from newspaper to carefresh to towels and still no better. Also she's started getting much heavier a few days ago and I can feel at least 2 babies the size of small prunes.  I haven't had a pregnant guinea pig in 30 years!  Please help!  I've printed out Peter Gurney's and Guinea Lynx's pregnacy pages for reference, but if anyone has had experience I'd appreciate any tips.  She gets all the best pellets, hay, fruit and veggies along with her C every day,  I just wonder if there's anything else special for pregnancy.  I'm so afraid of her getting pregnancy toxemia.  Is it okay to move her when I clean her pen or to weigh her to make sure she's not losing weight?  Is it safe for her female penmate stay in with her when she gives birth?

Thanks,

Lisa in San Diego