[Gpdd] (Misc) A "bad piggy" with a new life

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 16 12:50:25 EDT 2008

We have a privately owned pet shop which deals mostly in fish, snakes, and birds near where I live; I've seldom shopped there as their piggy products are quite expensive.  However, a few months ago I wandered in and saw a cage on the floor; in the cage was a young cream and white crested piggy with big brown eyes.  The owner of the shop said the pig had been dropped off there as piggy apparently didn't get along with the peoples' 5 year old child. The shop owner knew I had pigs and said I could have the little bad boy if I wanted him.  I took piggy home and named him Dulce la Leche, which is a type of Mexican caramel (for his color).  For the first few weeks, Dulce would bite me (hard!); he'd let me hold him while I was sitting down, but when I'd stand up, he'd panic.  And he wouldn't let me put my face near his. He didn't get along with my other pigs at all.  I'm thinking that the child who owned him probably carried him around by the legs or something
 and probably squealed in his face, the way Dulce behaved.  Anyhow - several months later, while Dulce still doesn't really get along with my other pigs, he's turned into a regular little cuddle-bug with me.  No more biting, I can carry him around, he lets me check his teeth, clip his nails, etc.  Isn't it just great to gain the trust of these little creatures?  Watching him change from a hyper-nervous creature into the sweet boy I knew he could be has been a joy. Love you, little man!