[Gpdd] MISC Good news bad news

davedave121 at aol.com davedave121 at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 14:18:51 EDT 2008

Hi all you piggy lovers,
I am doing these rather long posts to help me through a hard time I am
having with one of my beloved piggy's.

Now I will tell you about Teddy teef . Please bare  with me as I tend
to go on a bit when I’m frightened.

Teddy is a pig we rescued 3 weeks ago, he was let lose on a field, and
the people who rescued him, kept him for a couple of months , and then
decided he had to go. They put an add on the internet , and we could
not resist ,
Teddy is not a  Rex, the name Teddy  just seamed to fit his adorable
personality, the teef part, Teddy Teef is his pet name , he has a wider
gap than normal on his top lip and he is always showing his teeth .
Anyway when we first got Teddy , he was very run down , his fur was
dusty , and he was very frightened .
After a week of careful TLC he settled down nicely , and soon started
to realize that he was not by him self .
I don’t think he had experienced the noise and smells of other pigs for
a long time, Teddy was totally bemused by it all ,and desperately
wanted to join in.
There in lay the problem, we could not put him with another boar , as
there are to many lady pig smells in the air and we could not take a
chance on them fighting , its hit and miss keeping two boars together
at the best of times , and although we have successfully  in the past
ha
d 3 boars living happily together , and at present we have two
brothers living together , it is only because they where bonded before
puberty .

The dilemma that we faced was whether to get Teddy neutered , as we
have no idea how old he is, and if he would survive the anaesthetic .
He had survived the field where he was dumped , we thought he had his
share of good luck.

We franticly searched all the rescues , trying to find a neutered sow
for Teddy, with no luck. Then to make things worse Teddy started having
problems eating , I looked at his molars ( we have an otoscope ) they
where in a mess , I think he must have been fed only green food .

We do not have that many problems with teeth as we feed large amounts
of Timothy Hay, and the best thing is they love it.

We have had older pigs with teeth problems , and as long as I am
prepared to hold the pig then John, our much trusted Vet is prepared to
work on the teeth without anaesthetic , it is not very nice for the
poor piggy but we consider it to be the best option for an old, or sick
high risk pig .

I finally decided to put the ball in our vet’s court . I took teddy to
see John , and told him of the dilemma , he gave Teddy a very thorough
examination an was of the opinion that Teddy teef was a good candidate
for the opp, and it would be an ideal time to do his teeth
.

He did Teddy the next day and every think went really well .

Now we have 2 weeks to get a  sow from one of the rescues , 2 weeks to
let her settle in to piggy palace , then the most adorable little Teddy
teef can really start to live.

I’m sorry if I am rabbi ting a bit but I am really frightened . Since
reading about Pat’s Doris, and Julie’s Hamish , I have been looking at
our piggy’s , and on Sunday to my horror , I discovered a lump by my
beloved Toby’s nipple. I took him to see our Vet the next day and I he
recommended a needle biopsy.

I will be taking him in the morning, and the results should be back by
Friday .
It’s going to be the longest week of my life . I love Toby so much .

Yours Dave & Yvonne at PP