[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE: Welcome Luke

Dukejan1 at aol.com Dukejan1 at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 20:41:48 EDT 2008

All,
My husband and I first saw a male guinea pig at a local pet store about 6
months ago.  He was a cutie and we mused about having him.  However,  we had two
sows that were having health problems and getting near the magical 5  year
mark.  Additionally, we wanted our next pig to come from a rescue  organization.
  About 3 months ago, the pig was still not purchased  but had been caged
with another male near a sow.  Needless to say, the  little pig took a real
beating from the other boar, lots of bite marks, a ripped  up ear, etc.  The pet
store sent him off to be healed and he re-appeared as  a back room piggie.   His
ear will never recover but the scabs have  all healed.  Well, to make a long
story short, I came home from work today  and my hubby had brought little Luke
home.  He is currently being  housed in an adjoining bedroom on the third
floor, as we don't want to  stress Lily (now 5 1/2 year old) and Isabel (who has
ovarian cysts --that, by  the way, are responding well to her Lupron
injections).  Isabel will be 5  years old in about 6 weeks.  The girls are living in
their normal room--the  "nursery" as we call it, on the first floor.

Eventually, we plan on having Luke neutered and introducing him to the  girls
slowly.  We pretty much had decided not to get him, but when we read  about
Penny bringing home Casanova--who had also been picked on by others-- we
figured that any home we could give him would be better than what he currently
had.  While technically not a "rescue" pig, we think we rescued him since  it is
unlikely that Luke--8 months old with a chewed up ear--would be the first  pig
brought home from the pet store.

Question:  Should we try to introduce a neutered adolescent male to  the 5
year old sows????  Or would we be better off continuing to house him  separated
from the girls?????  I just don't want to stress Lily or Isabel
needlessly..... on the other hand, they could think that Luke is great!

Meanwhile, Luke is purring and snugggling with my husband and  me.   He
obviously has had more love in one day than he had in the  past 8 months.

Janet, slave to Isabel, Lily, and Luke