[Gpdd] ANNOUNCE Welcome Luke

Penny Charlesworth piggyfriends at tesco.net
Fri Jun 20 08:29:21 EDT 2008

Oh, well done Janet for bringing little Luke into your home. As far as I am concerned, any piggy brought from dire circumstances into a loving new home counts as a rescue, even when he comes from a pet shop. Luke will think that he has been rescued.

Casanova is delighted that he was instrumental in giving this precious piggy a new chance in life. His friend, Lilac, has only one earflap so that will not be a hindrance to Luke making friends with Lily and Isabel!

I can think of many times when I have introduced a young piggy to one or more older sows, usually when one is the last survivor of her group and a new arrival needs a friend. This often gives the older one(s) a new lease of life.

When Luke has finished his quarantine on the third floor ( you never know what bugs he might have brought home from the pet shop ) why not bring him downstairs and place his cage next to that of the girls? They will all love the company.

Personally, I never neuter my boars, although some arrive that way. There is no local vet that I would trust with this procedure but if you have a experienced cavy vet, you might like to proceed. Of course, I am likely to have another boar arrive soon that I can pair up with the original one so neutering is unnecessary.

Occasionally I have an odd one without anypig with whom to partner him and I always put the singleton next to another pen so that he can gossip through the wire. Piggies really do love company, especially when slaves are out at work. My dear old Sam, who came neutered, will not share his space with anypig, male or female, but he lives next door to Gulliver and Roscoe, both intact boars, and spends hours chatting to them through the wire. I put their food bowls and piles of grass close to the wire and he probably thinks that he lives with them.

Once again, thank you for giving little Luke a new home,

Give him a hug from us all,

Penny and the Piggyfriends.