[Gpdd] [Health] ivermectin?(long)

warmbreath imwarmbreath at netscape.com
Sat Jun 21 15:08:48 EDT 2008

Yes Ivermectin is fine for rabbits and piggies if administered carefully according to weight and the instructions bellow.  here is the dosage http://www.medirabbit.com/Safe_medication/Safe_drugs_main.htm  note the two different dosage amounts depend on the type of medication; the injectable liquid, or the horsepaste version available in farm and feed stores in the horse section. I have used the horsepaste at home safely for 15 years but many people on the best rabbit group, etherbun, think I'm nuts, however don't give it to cats and dogs without a vet, some breeds are very sensitive and dogs and cats are much more sensitive to dosage errors than piggies and buns, and some breeds of dogs cant tolerate it at all. Have the vet advise you on the cats and dogs, and if you are nervous talk to them about the using the horsespaste at home for your pigs and buns.  Also note that it is a poison that's why it kills many sorts of parasites although not all, but its especially goods for all sorts of mites. So it should be used very carefully, Google for overdose symptoms, weigh the pets carefully, measure accurately, and remember it has to repeated every 10 days for a total of three treatments to get all the eggs that hatch.

Some years ago we had a lively discussion about this on this group and there was some worry that the drug may not be mixed evenly in the horsepaste version, but one of the members, I don't remember who, called a manufacturer who assured the caller that it was. Also note  to always  give horsepaste in the morning or whenever you would be home for many hours to observe for reactions

In the subject of reactions, I will get brave and mention that the main reaction (although I have never had one in a piggie or bun) are that the animal may become wobbly in his gate (ataxia), his heart rate may slow, he may have trouble maintaining his body temperature, and he may go blind, all temporary unless the overdose is large enough that these symptoms cause death, and it can, and the symptoms can last  from hours to days to longer. I used in improperly once in my cats ears, it caused these symptoms, which I didn't catch for several hours cause I took a long nap, woke up, cat has symptoms, I Googled, got instructions, too late for vet, decided to warm her with my body, her flat on my chest then a blanket, she  started to recover  almost immediately. Normally an overdose victim should go to the vet if it is soon enough that vomiting or charcoal could help (pigs and buns cant vomit), when I noticed my cat was having serious symptoms it was late night on a weekend, so it wasn't practical to go to the vet. If a bun or piggie were to be overdosed  they cant vomit so that mitigation method is useless, the only thing a vet can do if you overdose an animal is to make them vomit and feed charcoal, and help maintain their heat, but piggies and buns cant  vomit so I reiterate, be sure of your dosage and weight and use it only on buns and piggies.

Of all the flack I got on etherbun, and by some knowledgeable people, no one  ever reported an overdose, and I have never had one in a piggie or bun, but it would be wrong of me not repeat these warnings. This is the main page for Medirabbit  www.medirabbit.com
Sandy